There is a continuous rise in the number of aged people today. This is the major factor that has led to the rise in the number of retirement options as well as options for aged care. You’ll find most, if not all situations and health conditions catered for in the many institutions available today.
These have been a popular happening in the USA, UK and other EU countries over the years. The concept behind a retirement village is that it’s a village where common minded people share common spaces. In most retirement villages, you will find individual homes where each resident stays in their personal home and only share common spaces like tennis courts, pools and maybe other social facilities. These entities are of different sizes and are also managed in totally different ways.
A nursing home is where elderly people or people with severe disabilities live due to their nursing care requirements. You’ll often find many retirement homes and related assisted living facilities having nursing homes as part of their organization’s structure and location. A nursing home provides its residents with round-the-clock nursing care services. In most states, you’ll find potential residents of nursing homes undergoing eligibility assessments before entering the home in the event that they wish to access funding.
What to Expect in a Retirement Village
- Residents have a certain age recommendation where residents above a certain age are the only legible candidates. Furthermore retirement villages Perth are made of groups of individual homes where each of these residents reside. Some of these homes may be fully detached while some are medium density units. In these homes, you’ll find many facilities including those that complement a retirement lifestyle, such as tennis courts and pools.
- Hair and beauty treatments – you’ll find a hair and beauty retail premise in most retirement villages to cater for the beauty needs of the residents.
- Golf courses – this is the latest trend in or near many retirement villages. You can also find some luxurious retirement villages being built near golf courses.
- Maintenance – most retirement villages are taken care of by a body of corporates. These people oversee the day-to-day running and maintenance of the villages, for instance mowing, cleaning and upkeep of the common space.
What to Expect in a Nursing Home
- Nurses – nursing homes must have a 24/7 nursing staff. In addition, residents of aged care Perth nursing homes will require certain amounts of care. You’ll find some nursing homes that are attached to retirement homes but residents live entirely independent of each other.
- Security – due to the low health levels of residents, security is always present in the shape of door codes and cameras in order to restrict movements and keep unauthorized persons away from residents.
- Rooms – nursing homes don’t have individual homes like retirement villages, they have rooms. You can find private rooms or cases where residents share large rooms.
- Meals and living spaces – residents here have rooms and not kitchens and as such they are provided with food in a common eating place. Furthermore, nursing homes have common living spaces with TVs and armchairs where residents sit, socialize and meet their visitors.
Today, many institutions have been established to cater for the various stages after retirement; retirement villages and nursing homes are just two of the many. In between, you can find retirement homes, aged care villages and assisted living homes. Ensure you do extensive research before you decide on which to commit to.